Located in Weston, West Virginia, the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum was established in the mid-eighteen hundreds as a recuperative haven for those with nervous & mental health disorders. It is the largest hand cut stone building in North America, and second only to the Kremlin in the world. Opened in 1864, the building was originally designed to accommodate 250 residents, but at its peak in the 1950s, was housing up to 2,500 patients, often in squalid and inhumane conditions. The facility was closed in 1994, at a time when the treatment and understanding of mental illness had entered a more compassionate and enlightened era. Today the existing structures are open as a tourist attraction and hope exists for a restoration of the once grand, but now deteriorating structure.
BEWARE THE NURSES!